Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Day #2

Wow, what a day.  I am not as exhausted today but I am feeling a little sore.  Sore you ask?  How could someone who is spending their days playing with icing and cake be sore?  I bet I got up out of my chair 50-60 times, and I am trying my best to sit up straight.  That is killing me.  My feet hurt too, but I have new tennis shoes to make it better. 

Today we did some more borders, with a lot of string work.  String work is delicate strands of icing that fall on the cake.  It looks easy, but let me tell you, I am going to have to practice, practice, practice.  Once I think I have it down, Sandy tells me..."Ooops, better work on this bit here".   My favorite thing we did today was the basketweave.  This is another one I thought looked difficult, but it is really easy.  All of us seem to be having issues with the "Shell" border.  The shell is used a lot in many different ways.  My hope is to master this by the end of the week. 

Tonight I attended a fondant figure class.  We covered a round cake board in green fondant, split it into three seperate sections, and then put some embelishments on two of the sections.  One will be a farm yard, another the beach, and then a grassy area.  After this we made a monkey and a lion.  This was so, so fun.  It was like playing with play-doh, only for big kids. 

Check out today's pictures.  And again, thanks for keeping up with me.  I miss you all!

Reverse Shell
Still a work in progress.


Basketweave #1


Basketweave #2


Rope Border


String work


Chandelier Scroll Border


Zigzag Ruffle Garland


Ruffled Garland
(I didn't do this one - the teacher did)


Here is my monkey with a missing arm. :)


There he is with a tail and fuzzy hair.
Still no arm...


My fierce lion.


He went to the beauty shop.
Isn't he just so cute?

3 comments:

Christine said...

Aubrey, the things you are doing are amazing. I think it is amazing the way you are following your dream! The monkey is my absolute favorite! I know you miss your girls, but right now you are still teaching them valuable lessons through your incredible example! Keep it up sweetie!

Carrie said...

Aubrey, so fun! I'm so happy that you have the chance to do this! I can't wait to see what else you do! The girls are probably so excited for you to come home and try out some of that awesome icing work! {And I'll be happy to have a taste too!}

You're doing such a great job...and sounds like getting a workout too, haha! Love love the fondant animals! You will have so many possibilities with that!

Take care!

Anonymous said...

Hi Aubrey! I love the monkey and the lion! Super cute! Sounds like you're having a good time and learning a lot. Have a great time!

Love Katie