Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Day #3

Today was not as intense as the past two days which was nice.  I seriously don't think my brain could hold anymore information.  We spent the morning practicing everything we learned from yesterday and then practiced a new border called a "Colonial Scroll" and the reverse version of that as well.  It is an old school border which looks totally hard, but I actually kind of mastered this one. Finally!  

The rest of the morning was spent learning how to fill, frost and torte a cake.  And then is was time to learn  how to assemble a tiered cake, along with dowel placement.  I am sure I am boring you to death with all of these details, but it is nice to kinda go back in my mind and review the day.  :)  After lunch we worked with a new icing called "Royal Icing".  This icing hardens fairly quickly and is a great tool to make certain types of flowers.  We were taught three type of "Drop Flowers" (these are not really flowers you find in a garden, they are made up), Sweet Peas and Rosebuds. 

Today was surprisingly relaxing but now I am starting to worry about my 3-tiered cake design I have to submit tomorrow.  We are going to actually be graded on the techinques we are learning and will receive a diploma/certificate from Wilton if we pass.  Please say a prayer for me.  I'll let you know tomorrow what I decide. 

My evening gum paste class was really fun tonight.  We completed our roses and it was so awesome to see it come together.  I think I could really get into this.  It can be a little time consuming but so worth it.  The final product is too awesome. 

Here are pictures from today.


The Reverse Colonial Scroll


The Colonial Scroll


Sweet Peas
(sorry it is blurry)


Sweet Peas & Rosebuds


Drop Flowers


More Rosebuds


The beginning of the rose.
We started with the base on Monday.
Today we added the center and then three rose pedals.


Then we added 5 more pedals.


All done with the addition of 7 more pedals.
(the one on the left)

2 comments:

Carrie said...

The flowers are beautiful! And the little drop flowers are so cute ;) {Do you get to taste these as you go! I would fail instantly because I'd be eating the icing!} Aubrey, you're doing so great! Can't wait to see your 3-tiered cake! It will be great! Good luck, sleep well! :)

Christine said...

Great job Aubrey! I love the drop flowers and the roses! I can't wait to hear how well you did with your 3 tiered cake.