Monday, July 20, 2009

Generational Costumes

This weekend was spent at my parents house. My husband Roy, was finishing up some tile work for my mom in her newly remodeled kitchen. I fondly call it, "The Boling Bistro". It really looks like a bistro - I am so in love with it. I can't wait for Roy to do our kitchen back splash next. I'll add that to his "Honey Do" list. (not sure why all of a sudden my text is underlined - oh well)
Anyway... I am a little of a clean freak. I'm not a big fan of messy piles and closets where you can't see the floors. My husband says he can't leave a pile for more than an hour w/o me coming in and rearranging and making sure that everything is in it's proper place. So I say, "Is that so bad?"
Sorry, I got side-tracked again. :) While we were at my parents house this weekend I took the plunge and told my mama that we needed to clean out a few closets and de-pile some rooms. Now don't get me wrong, their house is not messy or cluttered, it just seems that lately with my grandmothers passing my mom's house has been the catch-all for everything. We accomplished alot. There was a lot of trash, rummage, donation and bags for other members of the family to take care of. (I'm not naming any names - Frank & the boys - Heart you!!) My mama took it very well and weeded through her belongings like a pro. My motto is if you haven't touched it, worn it, or used the item in more than a year - OUT IT GOES!!!
During the de-cluttering we came across a bag full of Halloween costumes my mother had made for me, my brother and nephews over the years. My mama is quite the seamstress and always (and still does) make the most adorable hand-made Halloween costumes. She could really go into business making these for kids. Caroline had a blast trying all of them on. I wish I could find pictures of me with the same costumes on & put them side by side. How cute would that be? Caroline, The Elephant.
Originally worn by me in the 4th or 5th grade.
Caroline, The Pumpkin
Originally worn by me (Don't remember the year)

Caroline, The Clown
Originally worn by me in 1st Grade

Caroline, The Scarecrow
Originally worn by Mason, my nephew two years ago.



You never know what you might find when you take the time to de-clutter. Look at the fun we had.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

dress is always so much fun! These are some great costumes!

Carrie said...

Oh, that would be so cute to compare the two of you! I love those...so good you could help your mom out and have fun too! Now...come on over in a couple of weeks...and see what we find in my house...probably not as fun! More like scary! haha! miss you!