Monday, August 16, 2010

Growing Up

Today marked a big day for my oldest daughter,  Caroline.  She is officially a kindergartner.  I truly can't believe it.  I remember moms always telling me how fast the time goes when your children are infants and toddlers, and I didn't always believe them.  Boy, I do now.  I can remember bringing Caroline home from the hospital and placing her in her crib for the first time.  Rocking her all hours of the night because I didn't want to let go.  When she had her first big ear infection (included a trip to the ER), her first Halloween costume, first Christmas and birthday.  I remember alot of "firsts" and now I can add this one to the list. 

Caroline was such a big girl today.  She got out of bed with no problem, ate a great breakfast, we combed hair w/o a fight (thank goodness) and we walked to the bus stop for her very first bus ride.  Oh my.  The bus arrived and she got right on, only looking back for just a second.  As the bus pulled away, I could she her walking to the back trying to find a spot to sit.  Talk about breaking my heart.  All I could think about was... could she find someone to sit with?  Would she be scared?  Would someone say, "You can sit with me".  I headed to school as soon as the bus left (no I wasn't stalking it) to meet Caroline as she got off the bus at school.  I had promised I would walk her to her room on the first day and I kept my promise.  Of course I had a motive.  I wanted to make sure she was safe and okay.  And she was.  As for me, I was okay too.  Because she was okay.    Our children will always seem small and child like to us, even as they get older.  It's hard to remember how mature they are and that they can handle things we don't think they are old enough, or big enough for. 

Caroline had a fantastic day at school.  She is looking forward to returning tomorrow.  I just hope wake up time is just as easy. 

And to all my mommy friends who had this "first" today, great job moms.  We did it!!   :)

My tradition first day of school photo on the front porch.


Showing off her back pack. 
It is as big as she is.


With little sister, Kenzie.


Waiting for the school bus.
The highlight of her day.


There goes my girl.


Settling in at her spot.


Love this picture.
Caroline drew this at school today.
This is her waiting for the bus.
Too cute!!


Notice anything missing?
Caroline didn't have time to draw her mommy in.
Maybe next time...

1 comment:

Carrie said...

Yes...it goes entirely too fast...both my kids are already done with kindergarten...and I still remember Alex's first day! Guess I still get a few more 'firsts' with the next little one :)

She looks so cute and such a big girl now! I love when they get excited about the bus...but it doesn't last...haha!

Good job Caroline...and mom :)