Wednesday, March 4, 2009

89 Years Young

Happy 89th Birthday Granny Nell


Today is my grandmothers 89th birthday. 89 years - wow!! I can't even fathom the things that she has seen in her lifetime. How the times have changed? Such as technology, politics, the economy, cars, the fashions over the years, and the growth of her family. Granny Nell is a mother, grandmother, and great-grandmother. And a great one at that. She has been the pillar of our family. Last August, she moved into an assisted living facility in Muncie. Her health has been declining for sometime now and it is a relief to know that she is somewhere safe and is given the care she needs to stay strong and healthy. Even though her health has declined, let me tell you, she is as fiesty as ever. Granny has always been a jokester, very sassy and very opinionated. And she has been known to say and do some of the craziest things. Here are a few examples:
She told us once she went to fill a prescription and they wouldn't give it to her. We asked what it was for and she said cocaine. What!!! She meant to ask for Codeine.
After 9/11 she and my step grandfather thought they had anthrax on their toilet paper and they called the police. The police showed up in their yellow suits and everything. Come to find out, it was just the white dust that sometimes forms on your toilet paper. I guess it's better to be safe than sorry.
During my senior year of high school, granny and my mom took two of my friends to Washington DC for spring break. We ate at a Hard Rock Cafe and our waiter had dreadlocks - she wasn't quite sure what to think about that. I think she may have asked where she could get her hair done like that. The same trip we got to see her (many, many times) sleeping straight up in a chair, snoring and sawing the biggest logs you have ever seen. That women could snore and wake the dead.
Here are some of my greatest memories of my granny Nell -
She made the best Swiss cheese and mayo sandwiches.
She always, always had Pringles and Club crackers in the house.
She drove everywhere we went.
She loved Oldsmobile cars. She had a pack of squirrels living under the hood once.
She had the best garden and the prettiest flowers. When my grandfather was alive, he would stop by our home with a bag of fresh veggies, lay it by the door and yell "Produce" and then leave w/o even saying hello or goodbye.
She did laundry at the laundry mat and I loved the way her clothes always smelled.
She used Dove soap and Sea Breeze.
She loves sweets even though she shouldn't really have them. It is always fun to catch her sneaking an extra piece of cake or pie at special family events.
She always would say to me - "Don't be in a hurry to get old"
When I lived in Muncie, we would have lunch together every Wednesday. We did this for almost 11 years.
When I was young, she would always sing " You are my Sunshine" and "Neath the Crust of the Old Apple Pie" and now I sing those songs to my girls every night.
I am very fortunate to have my grandmother still here with me and more than that, that my girls get to know their great-grandmother too. She loves her grandchildren and her great-grandchildren so much. They all bring such joy to her life. Even more than that, she brings great joy to our lives. I love you Granny Nell. You are my Sunshine. Happy Birthday!
Love,
Aubie

No comments: