Friday, August 14, 2009

Letters to Heaven

Last night it was my turn to put Caroline to bed. We read her favorite stories, sang our favorite songs and then we just chatted. We discussed a lot of things. What her favorite food was, her favorite book, favorite candy and how she likes to play with her Dora Princess House the best. I love when we can just relax and cuddle and enjoy the quiet together. Caroline is so sweet and wise beyond her years. As we lay there chatting she asked if she could mail a letter to Great Granny Nell up in Heaven. Where did that come from? I instantly had tears in my eyes. I told her that would be so nice to write Granny Nell a letter but we couldn't really mail it up to Heaven. (I don't think our mailman is ready for that.)
I told my precious, sweet daughter that instead of mailing Granny Nell a letter, we could just talk to her right now. Caroline looked a little confused so I explained that anytime she missed Granny Nell, she could talk to her and tell her about her day, all of the fun things she and Kenzie have been doing this summer, or how she is feeling. She liked this idea and told me after prayers and when I was in bed, she would talk to Granny Nell.
We said our good nights and as I lay in my bed, I hear my sweet, sweet daughter talking to Granny Nell. I couldn't believe it. I heard her tell Granny Nell that she missed her and that Mauw (my mom) missed her the most and that she wished she could come back down from Heaven because she missed her so much. Breaking my heart here, little one.
I am amazed that being just 4-years old, Caroline understands the depth of this. That her Great Grandma Nell has passed on and left this earth to be with our Father up in Heaven.
Truly amazing.

1 comment:

Carrie said...

Aw, Aubrey...that is so, so sweet...it made me weepy! I love her! She truly is a sweetheart ;)

I'm so happy that she still knows she can be close to her Granny Nell anytime she wants!